Friday, January 30, 2015

My Experience as a Student Mentor in NTU!


My Experience as a Student Mentor in NTU!

Throughout my time at Nottingham Trent University, I am blessed and honored to have great memories and experiences that I will always cherished in my heart. Looking back at the 2 years at NTU, I had encountered many different situations, ups and even to my lowest point in my life. However, one of the experiences that I will always treasure is the great opportunity to be part of the International Post- Graduate Student Mentoring Scheme.  In September 2012, the College of Arts and Science introduced a student-led mentoring scheme for incoming international students to assist them to settle into UK and NTU, providing a friendly point of contact as well as addressing any issues that may be affecting their studies. Student Mentor are also responsible to direct students to the necessary member of staff within NTU when necessary and notify relevant staff of broader issues that need to be addressed.  In September 2012, I had the privilege to be part of the first intake to experience the new mentoring scheme. Through this scheme, I was able to make new people, gain more information about NTU and UK thus eases my transition as well as resolves any issues through contact with my student mentor. Knowing that this mentoring scheme helps new students settle down easily, I decided to volunteer myself to become an International Student Mentor to guide new international students. I became an International Postgraduate Student Mentor from January 2013 till Jun 2014. The experiences I gained through volunteering, as a Student Mentor was amazing. Throughout the time being as a student mentor, I was able to assist and provide new students with advices, guide and present their issues concerns to relevant members of staff.  At the same time, while helping others in need and meeting wonderful people along the way, I was able to gain additional knowledge on different courses offered in NTU. Furthermore, by being a Student Mentor, I have the opportunity to demonstrate different types of skills such as leadership, communication, build my confidence level and professionally translate students concerns and demands into recommended and implementable solutions.  This scheme had given me the chance to help new students as well as help me make wonderful connections and friendships with members of staff of different department as well as with my student mentees. The self-satisfaction has also been incredible when you are able to solve the concerns and issues faced by your student mentees. Therefore, please continue to support the International Student Program and be part of the amazing Student Mentor Scheme.

No comments: